Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:40:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Subject:   Re: crt0.c

>With  all  the  talk  about crt0.c, locale    and friends, I   just saw the
>following :
>[...]
>Why  is it using "regular"  getenv when it already  has its own private one
>_getenv ?

Because no one noticed that _getenv() existed when the locale bloat was
added.  The private _getenv() is to avoid linking in whatever bloat may
be attached to getenv() (there actually isn't much).  Similarly for all
the other private functions in crt0.c.  Linking to to _startup_selocale()
defeats the point of most or all of these because there is a lot of bloat
attached to _startup_setlocale().

Bruce