Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:16:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2REL, 34Gb IDE + AMD K7

I might suggest using FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT if that's not a production Box.
It has a new ATA driver that might work. you may want to repost the
original message and ask if there are known problems, I would've thought
that if you got BIOS to use it properly, FreeBSD would've gotten it to
work too. This is a dmesg output for my computer to show you what the ata
driver detects as:

ata-pci0: <Intel PIIX4 IDE controller> at device 7.1 on pci0
ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
ata1 at 0x0170 irq 15 on ata-pci0
ad0: <Maxtor 90845D4/GAS54112> ATA-4 disk at ata0 as master
ad0: 8063MB (16514064 sectors), 16383 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 0 depth queue, UDMA33
Creating DISK ad0
Creating DISK wd0
ad1: <Maxtor 84320D4/NAVX1920> ATA-3 disk at ata0 as slave
ad1: 4120MB (8438850 sectors), 8930 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad1: 16 secs/int, 0 depth queue, UDMA33
Creating DISK ad1
Creating DISK wd1
ad2: <FUJITSU MPC3064AT/6020> ATA-3 disk at ata1 as master
ad2: 6187MB (12672450 sectors), 13410 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad2: 16 secs/int, 0 depth queue, UDMA33
Creating DISK ad2
Creating DISK wd2
acd0: <CD-ROM 40X/AKU/U30> CDROM drive at ata1 as slave
, 128KB buffer, PIO
acd0: supported read types: CD-DA
acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm data/audio disc loaded, unlocked

That's the full output from a dmesg. If you think this driver would help
you, go ahead and upgrade to -CURRENT, but be careful, this driver is
beta. I'm also not sure that the wdc driver knows about your harddrive
controller, I don't think anyone has done anything for the chip that AMD
supplies with the K7 yet.

| Kenneth Culver	      | FreeBSD: The best OS around.    |
| Unix Systems Administrator  | ICQ #: 24767726                 |
| and student at The          | AIM: AgRSkaterq	                |
| The University of Maryland, | Website: (Under Construction)   |
| College Park.		      | http://www.wam.umd.edu/~culverk/|