Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:04:58 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        Tenebrae <tenebrae@niceboots.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from Diskettes

Tenebrae wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Joćo Fernandes wrote:
>
> > Thanks all for your help, I've concluded from all your mails that
> > through the paralel port will be the best choise.
>
> Still requires a boot floppy though, right?
> My question is...
> Is it possible to install freeBSD WITHOUT a floppy drive?
> I have a laptop with no floppy drive and a non-bootable CD-ROM drive (it's
> a bit flaky - was dropped apparently quite hard in transit, but it was
> free...).  It does, however, have a barely working RedHate installation on
> it and I managed to get the network card configured, so I at least have a
> nice fast DSL connection working with it.
> All the documentation seems to suggest I'm SOL.
> I am hoping to hear otherwise.
> So, any ideas?

this may desperate, but ...

if your RH partition is working, you may want to dd a <known-working>
FreeBSD slice already installed on another PC to a spare BIOS partition
of your machine (this may *very well* fail due to mismatched geometries
between machines, even if the partitions have the same C/H/S setup)

you may also want to try to dd the 2.88M boot floppy image to a bootable
partition of the hard disk and then try to install from the CD.

One problem is that I don't know wether RH is able to slice a BIOS
partition into FreeBSD disklabels. If it can, you may then want to
manually decompress the install bits from the bin.?? files

	if you can do it, hats off

	TfH
> Thanks.
>                                                                 -Tenebrae.