Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 20:45:04 -0500
From:      "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonz@netrail.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More NFS Problems

>I think it's broken.  A soft mount should cause NFS to give up after a
>while, but I've never seen it happen, and I've given it a long time.

This may not directly apply, as it is with BSD/OS 3.1 clients, but I rather
doubt the NFS code is all that much different between 2.2-stable and BSD/OS
3.1.

What I see is if the server goes down when only a few processes are trying
to use the mount, the client never times out, but when the server does come
back up, the client restore the mount properly and everything goes along
quite nicely.

If, on the other hand, a huge number of processes are stuck on the mount,
the stuck processes basically have to be terminated before the mount will be
accessible again, even long after the server has come back up.

Evan