Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:03:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Troy <tarrett@si-net.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd installation problems

On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 09:29:06PM -0500, Troy wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I am running a Pentium 133, 16mb ram, 10x IDE Pioneer (secondary master),

Am I correct in assuming that this is a CD-ROM drive?

> 1.2 Fuitsu hard drive (primary master) trident video card computer.  Trying
> to install freeBSD 2.2.2 I have received the installation disk from Walnut
> Creek and am wanting to install.  The OS is having problems finding my
> cdrom drive however.  I am not exactly sure where the problem lies, whether
> its in the kernel set up with IRQ's and things like that.

Try putting the CD-ROM drive on the primary IDE as slave.  This
shouldn't be necessary, but it used to help.  Otherwise let's hear the
model number of the drive, and whether the boot probes mentioned it
(should come right after the hard disk).

> So I tried creating a dos partition, extendid partition, and then it
> found the dos partiton when I chose the dos in the installation
> media but about half way it said that it couldn't mount the drive.

Do you have DOS running on your machine?  Otherwise you really don't
need a DOS partition at all.

Greg