Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:59:30 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea to core team

On Monday,  9 November 1998 at 12:36:08 -0500, Steve Friedrich wrote:
> I wonder if anyone subscribed to -questions besides me thinks that the
> 3.0R shouldn't have been made generally available.  It is allowing
> total morons to destroy FreeBSD's reputation due to their incompetence.
>  3.0R SHOULD be only installed by people with a freakin clue.  Not
> total newbies.  It has resulted in a tremendous amount of noise on this
> forum, because these newbies think they should be running the latest
> and greatest.  They aren't reading the release notes or anything else.
> Please don't let them continue.  Make 3.0R available only to those
> willing to certify:
>
> 1. They are NOT using it in a production environment
> 2. They have extensive FreeBSD experience
> 3. They have extensive Unix System Admin experience
> 4. They realize 3.X is not yet supported
> 5. They are not Microsoft agents looking for an opportunity to bash any
>    non-Microsoft system
>
> 3.0R is NOT ready for prime time, i.e., it's not ready for newbies.

People have been using -CURRENT for production systems for years.
Heck, I do it myself :-)  Admittedly, though, you need to understand
what you're doing.

I was not completely happy with the decision to release 3.0-RELEASE.
Maybe we should have called it 3.0-PRERELEASE, or 3.0-RESTRICTED, or
some such, just to make it clear that we didn't expect the same
stability from a .0 release as we would from others.

Greg