Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 16:12:11 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: Crossbuilding world

Hi,

After a couple of weeks (or is it months already) of reorganizing the
build process, I've come to the point where I can say that I'm ready --
well, sort of. I'm cross-building with two patches that are in the
pipeline of being committed. I've made the patches available for those
who can't or won't wait for the patches (or equivalent fixes) to be
committed:
	http://www.freebsd.org/~marcel/crossbuild.diff

NOTE: gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/Makefile also needs to be fixed. It
creates the wrong dependencies which breaks a buildworld with -DNOCLEAN
at the moment. The workaround is to remove the '.depend' file in the
object directory before starting the buildworld.

Of course this doesn't mean that when that is fixed, I'm finished. At
least the following tasks still need to be done:

o  Finish cross-building kernels.
o  Fix installworld so that it doesn't execute any of the binaries
   previously installed. This solves the upgrade problem in which
   the kernel isn't capable (yet) of running the binaries.
o  Create a 'kernel' target to make kernels. This target is to be
   used by the upgrade process.
o  Redefine the current 'upgrade' target to make world and kernel,
   followed by an install for world and kernel. It ends with a
   reboot.

This roughly describes what I'm going to do next wrt to the build
process. If you think I should be doing things differently, this is the
time to speak up... preferably with diffs :-)

\begin{talking to myself}
I have to finish those linux ports and PRs as well. Not to forget mumble
mumble, especially mumble mumble mumble...
\end{mumble mumble}

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/