Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:37:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        "Henry F. Marquardt" <hank@yerpso.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Jason Kasper <j_dot_kasper@www.usa.net>
Subject:   RE: Irda support

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Henry F. Marquardt wrote:

>I agree, this is a 'lost' technology, a solution in search of a problem.
>Even the palm crowd doesn't use it much that I've seen - I remember some of
>the early marketing hype there with people swapping IR business cards - I
>don't think I've ever seen anyone do that and I don't think I could figure
>out how in any reasonable amount of time with mine - it'd be quicker to
>scribble on a napkin.

The only cool use I've seen for it yet is the ability to control a
furby with your palmtop.  It's really quite amusing to send someone into
a room with a furby they don't know you're controlling.  I wouldn't mind
the ability to do this from my FreeBSD laptop.  I can't find any serious
use for IrDA though.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying