Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 11:17:41 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I will never trust NBC news again!

At 16:34 01-01-2000 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>It *is* true that there are some viruses out there that are triggered on
>jan 1 and that *simulate* the y2k bug.  SO even computers that are Y2K
>ready may *appear* to have fallen prey to the bug.  So this report is not
>incorrect.

Yes, but from the context it was clear she was talking about the Y2K bug
that people were so afraid of. But she referred to it as the Y2K virus
(while everyone arround her was talking about the bug). To her credit, she
appeared quite exhausted, but still, she clearly did not know the difference.

And Tom Brokaw was talking about twins, each born in a different millenium
and century: He repeatedly stated one was born in the 20th Century, the
other in the 21st Century. When I heard him say it for about the third
time, I had enough of the disinformation (I can't imagine that no one at
NBC knows when the century starts, so it had to be disinformation rather
than misinformation). I shut the TV off, and went to bed completely disgusted.

This is not the first time something like this happened. In 1990 I was
interviewed by an NBC affiliate station about the fall of Communism in
Czechoslovakia. They asked me a lot of questions before we went on camera.
Indeed, they asked them several times. Among other things I told them that
my brother lived in Bratislava, and that it was against the law of
Communist Czechoslovakia for me to leave my home country and not come back.
They wrote it all down diligently. So, I almost fainted when the camera was
turned on and they introduced me and said I originally entered the US
illegally (sic!) and that my brother lived in Prague!

After the interview I protested strongly. They said they wished I had
protested during the interview. When they aired it, they aired it as taped,
but at least immediately after the interview they aired a correction. Ever
since then I have been taking their news reports with a grain of salt, but
what they did last night went beyond somebody's jotting down quick notes
and then misreading them ten minutes later!

Cheers,
Adam