Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 16:41:36 -0500
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   SIO lock-ups..

Ok -

 It's been a while since anyone's heard from me... but I'm once
again trying to dig out from under a pile of mail and find time
to contribute.

 Anyway - I've been trying to track down why my serial line locks
up when receiving data at 38400 baud.

 The symptoms are that the modem is pumping bytes to the machine
as fast as it can (as evidenced by the RX light) - but nothing
is being delivered from the sio driver.  Also, I can't get the
sio driver to send anything.

 Until I applied the spl.h fix for getting a better SWI_TTY_MASK,
I couldn't do anything after sio locked up except reboot (even
with drainwait set to 1.)  After the fix, I can kill the process;
after a second - it actually dies  (that's a big improvement, but
I'd still like to receive the data :-) )

 Details - this is FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE, running on a 386DX-33
with a math co-processor, and a 16550A serial.

  Bruce - do you have any ideas?

	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. If anyone has a suggestion on how to wade through 39meg of mail;
     *please* let me know :-)  At this point mail(1) isn't too wonderful :-)