Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:16:49 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32+ signals and library versions

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999, Nate Williams wrote:
> > I'm more tempted to revert to the major/minor versioning.
>
> ELF has no minor revision number (IMO a mistake, but it's not my call).

I agree that it is a mistake.

However, if you think of "major" changes as different libraries, it does make
sense. We then have libxxx.so and libxxx2.so as the "major" versions and treat
the ELF revision number as the minor number.

In either case, I think it is a good policy to makei, f needed, an extra
increment to the major number and reset the minor number to zero when we
actually release a new system.
To avoid too many "bumps" of the major number, we could use the stopgap encoding
scheme of jumping the revision to the next multiple of 1000 to hide major
revisions during the development phase.

Thus, libxxx4.so.0 is released.
It is patched to libxxx4.so.1, etc.
If, during development, we need a major bump, we could use libxxx4.so.1000 as a
standin for libxxx5. Finally, at the time of release, libxxx4.so.7042
could be renamed to libxxx5.so.0 and recompiled for release purposes.

The only drawback is that users of development versions would have to watch for
and manually handle versioning.

I'm not sure which I consider worse, the "run away" version numbers or the
failure of the system to recognize the linking error.