Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 97 11:13:24 -0600
From:      Ben Black <black@gage.com>
To:        Walter Hafner <hafner@suncog13.forwiss.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UltraSPARC and MicroSPARC vs Pentium Pro ?

>As you can see from the reference:
>
>- Overall performance is about the same as a Sparc 20
>- float is actually much faster on the Pentium as on the Sparc 20.

so a 133MHz P5 beats a 60MHz SuperSPARC?  amazing.

>Considering the price, the Pentium is of course the best you can get -
>at least for image processing! (PC's have faster and better graphic
>boards too, compared to typical workstations!)

yeah, those creator 3d boards with ALUs in the VRAM are just such junk.  i'd
much rather have a nice matrox board.  gimme a break.

>BTW: A P-Pro 200 has an overall benchmark of 3.0 ... faster than a Ultra
>143 or Indigo 2! I can't give you exact results since our P-Pro is
>currently in San Jose (SPIE conference exhibit).

a 200MHz P6 beats a 143MHz UltraSPARC?  amazing.  according to your
benchmarks, the 167MHz UltraSPARC beats the 200MHz P6.  how about numbers for
a 200MHz Ultra?

b3n