Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:48:53 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 4.4

On 10/15/01 02:37 PM, legg@iastate.edu sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE, and I hear a much more secure
> FreeBSD 4.4 has been released.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to upgrade, but is that easy to do (or
> even possible)?
>
> Would I have to get somebody to download the ISO's for me and reinstall or
> is there some program that can manage it for me?
>
> I have heard talk about CVSup, but I just want to upgrade, not join a
> development team or anything.

You don't have to be a developer to use cvsup.  Just cvsup to
RELENG_4_4_0_RELEASE, then use the following:
cd /usr/src
make buildworld && make install

Which will upgrade your userland.  Once this is done, you should do
this:

mergemaster -ia

which will merge config/startup/etc. files from the upgraded source to
the installed versions.  Then reboot.

Next, you will want to rebuild your kernel.  If you have a custom
kernel, use that, otherwise use GENERIC.

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC && make installkernel KERNEL=GENERIC

Of course if you do use GENERIC, you can leave out the KERNEL
parameters.  Once this is done, reboot.

Now, you are running 4.4 release.  And not one line of code had to be
touched :)

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Gray's Law of Programming:
  `n+1' trivial tasks are expected to be accomplished in the same
  time as `n' tasks.