Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 100 01:56:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Renaud Waldura <renaud@guppy.evolunet.com>
To:        ras@e-gerbil.net (Richard A. Steenbergen)
Cc:        gcorcoran@lucent.com, mph@astro.caltech.edu, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "ifconfig" == "ifconfig -a"

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:
>
> > Hmmm....  what about having "route" with no parameters just
> > give a helpful message, something like "To see the current
> > routing table, use the netstat(1) command.".  ??
>
> If nothing else, it is in no way intuitive that "route" says nothing about
> how to view the current routing table. This is one of the most common new
> FreeBSD user questions I hear. At a minimium, something should be hinted
> at in the man page.

And in an ideal world, the "route" command should do what its name suggests: deal
with routes, and that includes printing them IMHO.

I hate code/functionnality duplication as much as the next guy, but having to
call a command totally unrelated to "route" to display the routing table (ie. netstat)
has always struck me as a gratuitous twist.

I cast my vote for a "route print".

--
-- Renaud Waldura <renaud@waldura.org>
-- 610 Clipper St. Suite 19 -- San Francisco CA 94114 -- USA