Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 12:55:57 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with sio probe and Mach64 PCI video card

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:

> As David Dawes wrote:
> >
> > As a side note, I tried PCVT (At first I wondered if syscons was causing
> > a problem since that was the last message I initally saw flash up before
> > the screen disappeared), and noticed that the arrow keys don't work in
> > the visual mode of "/kernel -c".
>
> I think this is a known problem.  pcvt defaults to the <ESC>OA etc.
> arrow key sequences.  (I believe it should default to <ESC>[A etc.,
> and only switch to "application mode" if requested.)

As the author of visuserconfig(), let me lay this one totally to rest.

At the stage in the system startup where userconfig() runs, none of the
console drivers have been initialised.    Each console driver provides a
minimalist set of routines for use at that stage.  Syscons gives
weird numbers (possibly scancode-related) for cursor keys, serial
consoles just pass through codes from the terminal, but pcvt doesn't
actually recognise (or at lease, doesn't return anything for) the cursor
keys.

Hellmuth and I have spoken about this; at some stage, he expects to be able
to do something about it.  Until then, don't use visuserconfig() under
pcvt 8)

> cheers, J"org

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[