Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 14:20:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
To:        support@yard.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Yard/FreeBSD Problem

---------- Forwarded message ----------

>Hi,

>I ran your (small version) program on our Linux site. It's compared to
>FreeBSD 15 times faster, which indicates a FreeBSD problem. When the
program
>is running on FreeBSD, vmstat reports at least 95% idle time, which also
>points to a problem in the kernel.

Results of my personal test this morning
(on the same machine)

FreeBSD:  FreeBSD 3.0-SNAPSHOT (Mai 98)

Linux: Suse 5.2

Test on 7461 rows

FreeBSD with ...ack_delayed=1    several hours
FreeBSD with ...ack_delayed=0    1m48
Linux                            5m19

My personal idea on this problem:

I suppose that there is a slight problem with the yard handling of the
network and that this problemcan be amplified by FreeBSD. After having ran
FreeBSD for years on large servers I can hardly beleive that the problem
only come from FreeBSD.

One of the tests that could be done would be to convert the yard database
to msql and see the results.

--
Didier Derny
didier@omnix.net