Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:13:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu, <bde@zeta.org.au>
Subject:   Re: stack alignment issues

Greg Shenaut wrote:
> In message <20020203193318.GA6310@dan.emsphone.com>, Dan Nelson cleopede:
> >In the last episode (Feb 03), Alfred Perlstein said:
> >> * Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz> [020203 08:17] wrote:
> >> Not really sure what to make of this, anyone else know how we ought
> >> to fix this?
> >
> >This has actually been an issue for ages, most commonly seen with
> >doubles.  take a look at the thread at
>
> Has any "real world" program ever been significantly affected by
> this "problem"?

I don't know any such program but I suppose they exist. The problem is
probably generaly unnoticed by the people running the program.

FWIW OpenBSD 2.6 has the same problem but Linux (kernel 2.0 and 2.4) is
unaffected.

Did you look at the patch by Bruce at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freebsd-current/message/39605 ?

Bruce, is it still fresh in your memory? Can you comment on the patch -
can it be commited in some form?

--
Michal Mertl
mime@traveller.cz