Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:57:53 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jaakko Salomaa <jsalomaa@saunalahti.fi>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new package fetching utility, pkg_get

Jaakko Salomaa wrote:

> Well, I wouldn't use the word 'loser'. A 'newbie' would be more

I meant luser, actually. :-)

> politically correct. And what's wrong with it if it's easy to use?

That depends on your definition of "easy". I can use pkg_add faster,
not having to go through menus, thus I consider it easier.

> /stand/sysinstall is, too. It still doesn't give them breast-feeding.
> But he was correct, the benefit is the easiness. And really, I don't think
> I could have pushed trough such a radical patch to pkg_add, it would have
> just met as much resistance, perhaps even more. I haven't posted anything
> to the lists before, just read them silently.

You might have got me wrong. I approve of your program. It targets
the largest existing class of user, and complements nicely our tools
(without having to adopt a whole new packaging mechanism, to boot!).
Hard core Unix users won't see any benefit of it, though, because
they are not what they usually call "lusers".

> But look, I mean no harm with this - if it's useless, I'll just make a
> port out of it and commit it. You never need to see it again. And if you
> think the changes should be made to pkg_add, that's a fine idea. Please do
> so. But in my opinion it still could become useful. What features should I
> actually add? I already discussed about few changes in privacy with -
> well, he won't mind - andrew@ugh.net.au and he made a few pretty good
> suggestions. This usage of master_dist_site isn't a dead idea neither.

I think your utility is great, and I'll use it if I feel a bit lazy
(which is not that uncommon... :).

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Rule 69: Do unto other's code as you'd have it do unto yours