Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:39:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Brunner <cjb@efn.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD support now in Descent.

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth wrote:
>

> > > Stephen, it built just fine, but it doesn't want to start, so I figure
> > > it's not really installed right.  When it fails to start, it prints:
> > >
> > > picnic:/usr2/chuckr/descent:125 >ldescent
> > >
> > > Error: Cannot open file DESCENT.TEX or DESCENT.TXB
> > >
> > > so I looked to see if there was a DESCENT.TEX or DESCENT.TXB file
> > > somewhere in the distribution, and maybe I could put that somewhere.
> > > There isn't one.  Do you have this working?  What have I missed?
> > >

> > I should've mentioned that you'll need the datafiles from the registered
> > version of descewnt. They're selling CDs with Descent I & II on them now. Buy
> > one of those & you'll be set.
>
> I'm not a big gameplayer, and I'll certainly not play these under
> Windows ... I thought that the descent thing would make a good demo.
> Under those conditions, is buying the cd still something you'd
> recommend?

Does the FreeBSD version require the registered versions of the datafiles?
I know that there are shareware versions of both Descent and Descent II
out there which contain only the first few levels, but could be used for a
demo package.
I have both Descent (full version) and the demo of Descent II (came with
my graphics adapter) so I'll give them a shot to see what works.

-- Chris Brunner |
-- cjb@efn.org   |