Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:38:52 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best way to back up to CD?

On 01/03/05 01:31 PM, Tabor Kelly sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to start making periodic backups to CD. I know I can make a
> tarball, and then create an iso with just that tarball on it, and then
> burn that to a cd, but is there a better way?
>
> Specifically, I have read the into to backups in the Handbook and it
> says that dump/restore is superior to tar, but it looks like dump was
> only intended for tape drives. Am I reading this right?

By tape drive, the docs mean pretty much any device, including (in
this case) a flat file.

Check dump(8), particularly the -f parameter.

>From there, the dump file can be poured into a .iso image and burned
to a CD or DVD.  Automagically, if you're diligent about keeping
blanks in your drive.

There were some scripts for automating some of this process floating
around once upon a time, I'd sure like to see something like this
again - particularly written in perl.  If they don't show up in
response to this thread, maybe I'll hack some together myself.

I'm in the late stages of tweaking a new box out, and once I get
amavisd and clamav integrated with postfix, I'll probably be down to
the backup process myself.

Very timely thread from my POV :)

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated by the fact
that, when exposed to the same atmosphere, bread becomes hard while
crackers become soft.