Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:41:15 -0400
From:      Matt Smith <webmaster@forsetti.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd vs ports sshd

   Upgrading gcc or Sendmail WOULD be as easy as upgrading the
port/package, IFF it were originally installed as a port/package.

   I understand that they are included in the base system today, but as
far as being "tied into", it is "easy" (sort of, perhaps "possible" is
better) to add the appropriate entries to make.conf (such as
NO_BIND=true, NO_OPENSSH=true), and delete the coinciding binaries by
hand.  This still leaves a fully functional system, and I can add the
approprate BIND and OpenSSH via ports/packages.  Then, I can manage
these apps simply by using my standard ports/packages management utilities.

   However, it would be far easier (than using make.conf and deleting
binaries by hand) if the default BIND and OpenSSH were installed as
ports/packages, such that they could be removed / maintained / upgraded
using the port/package management utilities.

-Matt