Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 23:10:14 -0700
From:      "Justin Wolf" <jjwolf@bleeding.com>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: System beeing cracked!

> Did your friend have access to a machine on the same ethernet ? He could
> have sniffed your password and the root's password, and then logged in as
> you, and then su'd to root.

To add my own meger two cents:  My machine (running 2.2.8-R) was recently
hacked because someone got their password sniffed (on another network).  The
attacker then used this account to gain root.  Fortunately they didn't do
any damage except change the root password (and perhaps trojan the kernel).

When I reinstalled with 3.1-R, I turned off ftpd and telnetd in inetd.conf.
The only way to get to the machine now is via ssh/scp (since there are ssh
clients for all major OSes these days, it's not too much of a hardship...
Windows even has a (ssh2) version of scp now).  This makes it more or less
impossible for someone on the same net to sniff passwords.  I never EVER su
to root unless I'm on a 100% secure (ssh) session.

Obviously there are still holes that people can exploit, but my feeling was
that this is probably the easiest way to gain root privledges, so this is
the hole I plugged.  The basic security rule is: Never run any services
unless you have to.  Don't have bpf compiled into the kernel.  Get strobe
and run it on localhost - see what's open.  You might not even expect the
results (such as X forwarding and RPC).  And lastly, always keep up on CERT
and BugTraq, and run the latest version of all software (ssh, popper,
sendmail, etc.) and patches.

Good luck,

-Justin