Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 05:05:07 -0700
From:      wclark@xoom.com (Bill Clark)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Problems

--------------D6A3FE6E904AF2021386D64C

First off, let me correct a mixup I made in describing my system:

    The primary SCSI controller is the AHA2940, and the secondary
(controlling the RAID) is the NCR53C875.

    I gave up on trying to get the RAID to work (for now), but am faced
with an even more annoying problem:

    FreeBSD has random problems upon installation.

    Sometimes, after an install the mouse will not work.  Sometimes, X
will not work.  Every single time, the network configuration is lost
upon reboot, and /stand/sysinstall (when it even manages to load) has
major curses problems, especially on the network configuration screen
(for ftp'ing packages) -- and always locks up if I try to enter the
information in again.

    I've reduced the machine to it's original (as of last week, when
everything was working just fine) configuration -- just the one internal
SEAGATE 4G drive on the Adaptec controller, and attempted a reinstall of
the OS several times.  It simply will not work.  fsck finds no problems
with the drive, nor does the bios.  I even did a low-level format (hey,
what the hell -- I have three hours to kill while I'm coding something
else, right? ;), thinking that somehow the problem is with the hardware,
but still no go.

    Everything works correctly when I'm running off the install disk (so
I know the hardware is okay), but as soon as I boot into the local
kernel, things get screwed.  I doubt that I've downloaded corrupt files
almost a dozen times in a row, but I'm completely at a loss here.

    Any idea?

    -Bill Clark
    Xoom

--------------D6A3FE6E904AF2021386D64C

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bill Clark
n:              Clark;Bill
org:            Xoom Software
adr:            433 California St.;;Suite 910;San Francisco;CA;94104;USA
email;internet: wclark@xoom.com
title:          Web Master
tel;work:       (415)445.2525 x121
tel;fax:        (415)445.2526