Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:00:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ian Pallfreeman <ip@mcc.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard disk CRASH (using 2.2.1)

Doug White wrote:
> On 14 Apr 1997, MARSO, LARRY wrote:
> > On my notebook, after a "from scratch" reinstall that has worked
> > perfectly for days ... the hard drive suddenly seems dead.
> >
> > Upon rebooting, it drops into fsck and locks up as follows (same result
> > when I run fsck from the repair floppy):
> >
> > Warning: / was not properly dismounted.
> > wd0: interrupt timeout:
> > wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
> > wd0: interrupt timeout
> > wd0: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>
>
> I'vew seen these for both busted disks and systems that have IDE spindown
> enabled.  Try disabling it and see what you get.

This "interrupt timeout" seems to appear sporadically on machines which have
apparently good disks and no spindown...

Is it possible that the drives are remapping, and this causes the timeout?

Ian.
--
   "B" Ship, N&O, Manchester Computing, The University, Manchester, England.
     mail: ip@mcc.ac.uk | phone: +44-161-275-6006 | fax: +44-161-275-6040