Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 12:47:15 +0000
From:      Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade <fisco.dev@sul.com.br>
To:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sig-11 plague

Another day i read a message saying the phrase *sig-11 plague*,
and i thought i was having the same problem. Two weeks ago i upgrade
from my 386 to an amd 5x86, and after a hard time to get FreeBSD
installed *manually*, (i was receiveing messages like:
*tar: child returned code 1*
*gzip: not in compressed format*), i restarted working on a xpaint like
program that i am writing on my free time. But cc1 was frequentely
receiving a sig 11, sometimes a sig 6, and this is the better case
when it failed, i get .o files that did not link because were corrupt.
    I resolved the problem in the BIOS setup, i disabled the external
cache, and now cc1 does not fail. After that, i was browsing the
handbook, and read the section 21.1.1.4, where  there are a description
of PCI. I am not a hardware expert, and i also dont know what pci i
have, but if it is a Mercury, i have done the correct work-around.
    Im using FreeBSD 2.1.0.
    I have now a doubt: is this a feature of pci or is a todo in
FreeBSD (perhaps a done, since im using 2.1.0) or is i that have a not
good hardware or another thing ?

[]s.

Paulo.