Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 21:29:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@expresslane.ca>
To:        Nathan Torkington <gnat@frii.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Operation not permitted, all over -stable

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Nathan Torkington wrote:

> 	gnat@elara (~) whoami
> 	root
> 	gnat@elara (~) rm /usr/bin/passwd
> 	override r-sr-xr-x  root/bin schg for /usr/bin/passwd? y
> 	rm: /usr/bin/passwd: Operation not permitted
>
> Any suggestions?

The key to look for is "schg".  I believe it stands for "stop change".
Several binaries (also the kernel) are installed with this flag (see the
-f switch to install) during a make world.

To remove them, use chflags noschg <filename>.  The file can then be
removed.  A word of warning though - those files had the flag set for a
reason, so watch what you remove it from.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon				      james@expresslane.ca |
| Internet Canada Corp.                       Voice/Fax: 416-363-8518/8713 |