Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 01:19:21 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com
Subject:   Re: silo overflows

>The only bus hogging DMA I could think of is the 1542CF but it is
>at the default settings which I thought were safe. My root, usr,

I think so too.

There have been reports about silo overflows under X in normal
operations, but I don't know the cause.  Overflows are normal, at
least in old versions of XFree, when interrupts are disabled while
fiddling with the clocks.

>and home partitions are on IDE disks(VLB controller). Is there a "cleaner" way
>to adjust the fifo trigger levels than making another constant like
>FIFO_TRIGGER_10? perhaps a sysctl or stty option?

Not yet.  There will be some ioctl for comcontrol to use.

>Oh, the sio man page still describes the automatic adjusting as enabled
>is that going to be put back in or was it decided that it was not a
>good idea?

It will probably go away.

Bruce