Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 00:25:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Novoselov Ilya <nullguid@chertenok.tgngu.tyumen.ru>
Subject:   Re: ports/44327: databases/posgtresql7 port doesn't automatically build

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Fernan Aguero wrote:

> multilingualism, kerberos ...). So setting the PATH this way
> gets postgresql7 compiled OK, but breaks the initial ports
> dialogs.

What the command actually does is take everything out of the environment
except for the PATH variable which remains as it is set. The port calls
dialog without seemingly setting the path (unless its done somewhere I
haven't looked :-). dialog is in /usr/bin so it should be in the vast
majority of paths.

Why the dialog broke for you I'mnot sure.

> I'm a newbie with respect to porting and compiling stuff,
> but perhaps the ports Makefile can provide for a fix,
> perhaps running Gen_fmgrtab.sh with an unmodified PATH, and
> see if this solves the problem?

The postgres ppl can probably find the problem straight away but I'll see
if I can take a look later.

> "If the compilation fails try running 'env -i PATH=$PATH
> make' instead of 'make'. Some users have found this to get
> the port to compile. We are working in getting this solved."

I don't know what I have in my environment but I have to do that
disturbingly often...I've been meaning to look at it for a few years...

Andrew