Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:08:02 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding standalone RSA code

Mark Murray wrote:
> Colin Percival writes:
>>I was comparing /usr/lib/libcrypto.a (1.7 MB on my system) to the sum
>>of the sizes of the object files built from my library code (38 kB).
>>
>>If you look at the number of lines of C files (counted using `wc -l`
>>since I don't want to bother installing sloccount), my code is 1489
>>lines compared to openssl's 202982 lines.
>
> Do you have a version of your code linked against OpenSSL? What is the
> size difference between a static link of your code vs a static link
> against OpenSSL?

I don't have a version using openssl, but my key generation program
(statically linked against my crypto code) is 37kB, while a program
which calls RSA_generate_key (statically linked against openssl) is
240kB.  So even under the most favourable conditions (adding overhead
to my code but not to openssl) it's a size ratio of more than 6.

Colin Percival