Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 20:21:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nextboot loader diff

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > This is not something that is meant for you to massage which root
> > partition you are going to boot up off of.
>
> I don't understand what it does, then.  The original Whistle code
> was intended to attempt to boot 3 times from one partition, and
> then 3 times from another.

I was thinking different kernel/kernel flags not different root
partitions.  You could probably work something up to make it do different
root partitions, but this was sufficient for my needs.

[snip]

> I don't understand the "YES"/"NO" thing, then.  There is one byte
> difference in the file length, which I don't think can be properly
> accounted, if you do the "YES"/"NO" thing.

Well, it's actually "YES"/"NO"<space> but the loader is smart enough to
ignore spaces.

[snip]

> The code you are talking about seems limited to replacing only the
> kernel.  Frankly, that's recoverable via the serial console, if
> you put the "-p" in the right file in /.

Exactly. That was all this was meant to do. Look at it as a first
implementation. If you would like to take the patch I submitted and do
some more work to have the same functionality as InterJet's code, be my
guest. There would be alot of work, the first piece being an unbufferred
string searching function in Forth.

> This isn't really sufficient for any embedded system that needs to

This wasn't for embedded systems, this was for developer convenience.

> I'm not trying to dump on your code; I'm just saying that it's
> not solving the problem that the original code was added to be
> able to solve, and that the original nextboot itself was intended
> to resolve.

Yup, I know that.

Let's lay this discussion to rest and see what we need to do to get the
code committed and used.

-gordon