Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:55:29 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        jncastellano@noconname.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix or SASL Port failure ( TLS Support )

--On Wednesday, March 16, 2005 06:51:13 PM +0100 Jos=E9 Nicol=E1s =
Castellano=20
<jncastellano@noconname.org> wrote:

> I'm did some installations of postfix with freebsd 5.3 box install.
> Now I want to autenticate with sasl support with pam support. The problem
> is the next:
>
> In /usr/local/lib/sasl2 i have to add the line:
> mech_list: plain login
>
> To permit login to pam database, because if i don't add it, the saslauthd
>  postfix/smtpd[753]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password
> verification failed
>
> If i put other authentication protocol FAILS, I use Thunderbird as email
> client.

So what's the problem?

TLS for Postfix means that you are connecting to Postfix over SSL.  Mech=20
plain simply means that *within* that secure tunnel, your password is in=20
plain text.

That's not a problem unless you know someone has cracked OpenSSl.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member