Date:      23 Feb 96 09:45:20 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail routing and duplicates:wq

lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey) writes:

>>> Just for interest's sake, I wish I knew how freefall decides where to
>>> send these messages.  Most messages seem to get sent to
>>> zit1.zit.th-darmstadt.de or somewhere in Aachen, neither of which are
>>> on sni.de's MX record list.  Any insight?
>>
>> 	to ease the mail load on freeefall, we make use of the
>> 	/etc/mailertable capability in sendmail v8.  various domains
>> 	are re-routed to get the mail off freefall fast.   works
>> 	pretty well ;)

>Hey, that's a nice way to do it!

>Greg

I first got the idea when I realised what bitnet.mailgate.cs.mu.oz.au was,
and realised that it was quite a good match for /etc/mailertable.

Seriously though, it does have it's downsides.. The mail queues are now spread
all over the planet, and our postmaster (JMB) can't kill bouncing mail until
it eventually times out after 5 days.

Cheers,
-Peter