Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:59:31 -0500
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@comversens.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max partitions in one slice?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday,  5 January 1999 at 11:37:24 -0500, Drew Derbyshire wrote:
> > What's the maximum number of partitions (file systems) allowed in one
> > disk slice?
>
> 8 partitions, 7 file systems.  That's at least 5 file systems too
> many.

Not sure why you say too many, since with even one disk with I prefer the
ability to dump less than all of my system at once (just the home
directories file system for example) and like to be able to break out
special things like /usr/obj to give different mount options to them.

Anyway, this was for comparison to SCO Unixware 1.1.x, which allows 8 file
systems, but only 2G per file system.  Since FreeBSD has a much higher
limit (terabyte range) per file system, it turns out the number of file
systems per slice is not an issue.

Thanks for the answer.
-ahd-