Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Abit KA7 and sound blaster imcompatibility

My aging, trustworthy, EISA AMD-586 system is being upgraded to
modern standards.  So, I've acquired an Abit KA7 motherboard, a
650MHz Athlon processor, 128 pc133 sdram, adaptec 2940 scsi, and
*no* ide anything.

Now, the fun begins.  The new system needs MS Windows (for the wife
and kids ;) and sound would be nice.  So, I move my GUS PnP Pro from
the EISA system to then new system.  Installation of win98 SE went
smoothly until the GUS wasn't recognize.  Gravis doesn't support the
GUS anymore, so I screwed under win98.  The GUS is detected, probed,
and works under FBSD3.3.

Well, the GUS is an old ISA card, so I decided to upgrade to a
SB 16 PCI, which is good enough for now.  It turns out the ABIT
KA7 and all sound cards that use the A3D chip are incompatible.
(See http://www.casema.net/~howland/ka7faq/ka7faq.htm)
The suggested work around is to enable the memory hole at 15-16MB
in the system BIOS.  With the memory hole enabled, Win98 SE finds
the SB 16 PCI card, and the system works as expected.  Now, the
problem is that with the memory hole enabled in the BIOS, the system
panics when I try to run FBSD3.3.  OUCH!

The questions:

(1) Can FBSD deal with the memory hole?

(2) What sound card is compatible with the KA7 motherboard,
    will function under FBSD (and Win98 SE)?

PS:  If it matters, I plan to jump to FBSD-current over a
     4 day period.

--
Steve