Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:00:25 +0900
From:      "Rommel B. IKEDA" <r_ikeda@oisca.org>
To:        m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk
Cc:        FreeBSD ML <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vlc installation in /usr/ports/multimedia take too long...

> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:24:18PM +0900, Rommel B. IKEDA wrote:
>>

>>> Is it normal for a Port to be compiled for 3-4 days? I was just
>>> wondering?
>>> I would really appreciate if anyone can help me how to verify that
>>> my machine is indeed compiling the right way or it is just going in
>>> a loop...
>>> What if I would kill it...what would happen? Can I start
>>> again...compile from the Ports and encounter no problems?...Oh...by
>>> the way, I am a Newbie...I do not know how to properly Kill it...
>>>

>> Nope. I'd say that something has quite clearly gone wrong there.
>>
>> You can kill the compilation using 'Ctrl-C' (maybe required several
>> times) -- that's the usual was to kill any misbehaving process under
>> Unix.
>>
>> Before re-trying the compilation, cvsup(1) the latest version of the
>> ports to pick up any fixes that may have gone into the tree in the
>> mean time.

Thank you very much...I tried Ctrl-C and with just one try it stopped
and said "You have Mail."
I do not know what happened...I do not use CVSup because I can
not...with the networking configurations that we have in the office...I
have been dowloading CTM deltas...I will try to ctm today...and use
portsdb -Uu to update my ports...
Again, Thank you very much...

Rommel B. Ikeda