Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:30:54 -0800
From:      Christopher Elkins <chrise@scardini.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building libraries from source

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 04:11:43PM +0100, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> Now that we have a bsd.java.mk, we should first get the current ports to use
> USE_JAVA. Then at the same time we can define the destination directories for
> the shared libraries (JARs), for the JavaDoc files, etc.
>
> What is also one of my goals is building all Java ports from source.
> Currently ports like www/jakarta-tomcat download pre-built JARs. IMHO it
> would be an improvement if all dependency libraries for this JAR would be
> downloaded and installed separately, so everything can be installed from
> source.
>
> An extra advantage is, that you can then upgrade a library like xerces and
> have all libraries that use xerces use the upgraded version of xerces. I know
> that this may be a disadvantage in some cases too :)
>
> Any thoughts on the subject ?

Does this mean that you'd prefer to hold off on adding new ports until (1)
the shared directories have been determined/finalized and (2) the
infrastructure for building from source is in place? I have a whole bunch of
project dependencies for which I'd like to create ports. I can create binary
ports now and update them later to build from source, but I don't want to
create unnecessary work for committers.

--
Christopher Elkins