Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:19:42 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about cc flags in buildkernel

--nextPart1581668.DNiQAZc4fe

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 20:27, Bernd Walter wrote:

> I'm not extremly surprised by that numbers.  You have a really old machine
> and gcc doesn't do very well with byte oriented source on non BWX alphas.

It's a minor disappointment, but no great problem.  The machine's primary=20
job is as a firewall/router, although I'd like to run some more=20
CPU-intensive processes like Snort if I could do it without getting bogged=
=20
down.

> But it looks even slower than on my NoName, which is definitively less
> powerfull.  Under which FreeBSD version is this?

5.3-STABLE (as of last December).  I upgraded from 4.x mainly to get the=20
newer version of GCC.

> I don't think O3 is really that usefull - I typically just use O2.

I actually saw a pretty nice jump from -O2 to -O3 in the OpenSSL benchmarks=
=2E =20
That was my main motivation.

> Well - a K6/333 is a few years younger than your alpha.

True, but although I still don't know a lot about Alphas beyond what was=20
required to get this machine up and running, I'd have thought it'd have a=20
comparable throughput per cycle.  Like you mentioned earlier, though, GCC=20
may not be the ideal compiler for this system.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser