Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:26:10 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup of ports, then what?

At 05:54 AM 11/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
>On Friday 16 November 2001 05:57, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:51:55PM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
>> > I have a number (15 or so) of packages/ports installed.  Do I need to run
>> > "make" for each of my ports again?  Or is there something simpler that
>> > will know which ports I have installed and do them all together for me?
>> > Also, mergemaster is a beauty when making the world - is there anything
>> > similar for the ports?
>>
>> You can check the port version against what is installed, I am not aware
>> of any tool providing this at this time (hey, another little project to
>> do if nobody has done it already)
>
>Check out pkg_version.  It doesn't automate the whole process, but it will
give
>you a nice listing of what needs updated and what is already up to date.  The
>-c option can be used to build a script that _will_ automate the upgrade
of all
>your packages, but you'll probably want to review the script before you
actually
>run it.
>
>--
>Bill Moran
>Potential Technology technical services
>http://www.potentialtech.com

Yeah, I *love* pkg_version -c. It doesn't tell you what packages are
up-to-date, most people don't really need that, but if you wanted it you
could run pkg_version -v to a file and review it at your leisure.

Every couple of weeks, or whenever I have time after a cvsup, I run
pkg_version -c > needs.update, then edit needs.update to remove the first
five lines and check through to see if I recognize any updates that need
special handling. After that I run needs.update as a shell script in the
background, log off and go home for a good night's rest while the machine
is updating itself.

I've heard portsupgrade is a great program but haven't gotten around to
trying it.
--
Roger