Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 1996 02:51:18 +0100
From:      Sven Brandenburg <sven@algieba.ts.rz.tu-bs.de>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: O si o [sound question]

> I do, normally in 16Bit mode, both record & playback.

You must be happy ;-)

> Make sure that the ints are configured correctly!!!

They are. (They should be ... at least they work with DOS,W95 and Linux
with the same settings).
The problem is that nobody actually sets the audio driver into 16bit
mode when playing audio. I added some stupid code to the driver that
reports the audio setting via syslog.
And this reads "Set to 8 bit". Even when I try my second card (a GUS
which hasn`t the weird settings for dma/irq [SB16]) the same result:
8bit output.
I have two final questions before I kill this thread due to its *big*
importance. These questions may enlighten me or not - I will stop
wasting your time [and mine] :)

What do you use to play/record ?
(which program and how configured, tell me everything :)
Should a "cat iama16bitsample.au > /dev/audio" give you 16 bit output?
(A BIG candidate for the lame-question-of-the-year, sorry!)

BTW: playing MIDI files works for both SB16 and GUS [which loads its 16
bit samples and plays them as MIDI instruments -- correctly].

never mind,
Sven