Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 05:21:11 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eric Allman's syslog.c fixes

On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >Eric Allman is running a new syslog.c through the mill at the
> >moment. It'll be the one published in the RSN CERT advisory I presume.
>
> >It's thought to be bomproof on 4.4BSD systems (it uses vsnprintf), and
> >the only holdup is portability to other OS's.
>
> The one posted here didn't check the format conversion.  pst's version
> was more complete.
>
> Someone suggested using %.*s instead of snprintf.  That works well for
> the format conversion.
>
> Bruce

Well, this is it, BTW....  Obviously, this has portability stuff in it
that can come out.  Note, it's berkeley version 8.8.  4.4Lite was version
8.4, and Lite2 is version 8.5.  If anybody's got any complaints with this
version of the code, we need to hear about it ASAP, before it gets
published.

--------------------
Subject: updated syslog.c (CERT VU#9548)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 20:49:08 -0700

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1983, 1988, 1993
 *	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *	This product includes software developed by the University of
 *	California, Berkeley and its contributors.
 * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
 *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
 *    without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
 * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
 * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
 * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
 * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 */

#if defined(LIBC_SCCS) && !defined(lint)
static char sccsid[] = "@(#)syslog.c	8.8 (Berkeley) 8/30/95";
#endif /* LIBC_SCCS and not lint */

#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/uio.h>
#include <syslog.h>
#include <netdb.h>

#include <errno.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#ifdef BSD4_4
# include <paths.h>
#else
# ifndef _PATH_CONSOLE
#  define _PATH_CONSOLE	"/dev/console"
# endif
# ifndef _PATH_LOG
#  define _PATH_LOG	"/dev/log"
# endif
#endif

#if __STDC__
# include <stdarg.h>
#else
# include <varargs.h>
# define const	/* */
#endif

#ifndef USESNPRINTF
# if defined(BSD4_4)
#  define USESNPRINTF	1	/* has snprintf(3), vsnprintf(3), etc. */
# else
#  define USESNPRINTF	0	/* cheesy old C library */
# endif
#endif

#ifndef LOG_PRI
# define LOG_PRI(p)	((p) & LOG_PRIMASK)
#endif

#ifndef LOG_PERROR
# define LOG_PERROR	0
#endif

#define BUFSLOP		1024	/* overflow space */

static int	LogFile = -1;		/* fd for log */
static int	connected;		/* have done connect */
static int	LogStat = 0;		/* status bits, set by openlog() */
static const char *LogTag = NULL;	/* string to tag the entry with */
static int	LogFacility = LOG_USER;	/* default facility code */
static int	LogMask = 0xff;		/* mask of priorities to be logged */
#if defined(BSD4_4)
extern char	*__progname;		/* Program name, from crt0. */
#else
char		*__progname = NULL;
#endif

/*
 * syslog, vsyslog --
 *	print message on log file; output is intended for syslogd(8).
 */
void
#if __STDC__
syslog(int pri, const char *fmt, ...)
#else
syslog(pri, fmt, va_alist)
	int pri;
	char *fmt;
	va_dcl
#endif
{
	va_list ap;
	extern void vsyslog();

#if __STDC__
	va_start(ap, fmt);
#else
	va_start(ap);
#endif
	vsyslog(pri, fmt, ap);
	va_end(ap);
}

void
vsyslog(pri, fmt, ap)
	int pri;
	register const char *fmt;
	va_list ap;
{
	register int cnt;
	register char ch, *p, *t;
	time_t now;
	int fd, saved_errno;
	int panic = 0;
	static int maxsend = BUFSIZ;
	char *stdp, fmt_cpy[1024], tbuf[BUFSIZ + BUFSLOP];
	extern void openlog();

#define	INTERNALLOG	LOG_ERR|LOG_CONS|LOG_PERROR|LOG_PID
	/* Check for invalid bits. */
	if (pri & ~(LOG_PRIMASK|LOG_FACMASK)) {
		syslog(INTERNALLOG,
		    "syslog: unknown facility/priority: %x", pri);
		pri &= LOG_PRIMASK|LOG_FACMASK;
	}

	/* Check priority against setlogmask values. */
	if (!(LOG_MASK(LOG_PRI(pri)) & LogMask))
		return;

	saved_errno = errno;

	/* Set default facility if none specified. */
	if ((pri & LOG_FACMASK) == 0)
		pri |= LogFacility;

	/* Get connected. */
	if (!connected)
		openlog(LogTag, LogStat | LOG_NDELAY, 0);

	/* Build the message. */
	(void)time(&now);
	sprintf(tbuf, "<%d>", pri);
	p = tbuf + strlen(tbuf);
	strftime(p, sizeof (tbuf) - (p - tbuf), "%h %e %T ", localtime(&now));
	p += strlen(p);
	stdp = p;
	if (LogTag == NULL)
		LogTag = __progname;
	if (LogTag != NULL) {
		sprintf(p, "%s", LogTag);
		p += strlen(p);
	}
	if (LogStat & LOG_PID) {
		sprintf(p, "[%d]", getpid());
		p += strlen(p);
	}
	if (LogTag != NULL) {
		*p++ = ':';
		*p++ = ' ';
	}

	/* Substitute error message for %m. */
	for (t = fmt_cpy; ch = *fmt; ++fmt)
		if (ch == '%' && fmt[1] == 'm') {
			++fmt;
			sprintf(t, "%s", strerror(saved_errno));
			t += strlen(t);
		} else
			*t++ = ch;
	*t = '\0';

#if USESNPRINTF
	cnt = maxsend - (p - tbuf) + 1;
	p += vsnprintf(p, cnt, fmt_cpy, ap);
	cnt = p - tbuf;
#else
	vsprintf(p, fmt_cpy, ap);
	p += strlen(p);
	cnt = p - tbuf;
	if (cnt > sizeof tbuf) {
		/* Panic condition. */
		panic = 1;
	}
	if (cnt > maxsend)
		cnt = maxsend;
#endif

	/* Output to stderr if requested. */
	if (LogStat & LOG_PERROR) {
		struct iovec iov[2];
		register struct iovec *v = iov;

		v->iov_base = stdp;
		v->iov_len = cnt - (stdp - tbuf);
		++v;
		v->iov_base = "\n";
		v->iov_len = 1;
		(void)writev(STDERR_FILENO, iov, 2);
	}

	/* Output the message to the local logger. */
	for (;;) {
		if (send(LogFile, tbuf, cnt, 0) >= 0)
			goto done;
		if (errno != EMSGSIZE || maxsend <= 256)
			break;

		/* Message was too large -- back it off. */
		do {
			maxsend -= 128;
		} while (cnt < maxsend && maxsend > 256);
		cnt = maxsend;
	}

	/*
	 * Output the message to the console; don't worry about blocking,
	 * if console blocks everything will.  Make sure the error reported
	 * is the one from the syslogd failure.
	 */
	if (LogStat & LOG_CONS &&
	    (fd = open(_PATH_CONSOLE, O_WRONLY, 0)) >= 0) {
		(void)strcat(tbuf, "\r\n");
		cnt += 2;
		p = strchr(tbuf, '>') + 1;
		(void)write(fd, p, cnt - (p - tbuf));
		(void)close(fd);
	}

  done:
#if !USESNPRINTF
	/*
	 * If we had a buffer overrun, log a panic and abort.
	 * We can't return because our stack is probably toast.
	 */
	if (panic) {
		syslog(LOG_EMERG, "SYSLOG BUFFER OVERRUN -- EXITING");
		abort();
	}
#endif
}

static struct sockaddr SyslogAddr;	/* AF_UNIX address of local logger */

void
openlog(ident, logstat, logfac)
	const char *ident;
	int logstat, logfac;
{
	if (ident != NULL)
		LogTag = ident;
	LogStat = logstat;
	if (logfac != 0 && (logfac &~ LOG_FACMASK) == 0)
		LogFacility = logfac;

	if (LogFile == -1) {
		SyslogAddr.sa_family = AF_UNIX;
		(void)strncpy(SyslogAddr.sa_data, _PATH_LOG,
		    sizeof(SyslogAddr.sa_data));
		if (LogStat & LOG_NDELAY) {
			if ((LogFile = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)) == -1)
				return;
			(void)fcntl(LogFile, F_SETFD, 1);
		}
	}
	if (LogFile != -1 && !connected)
		if (connect(LogFile, &SyslogAddr, sizeof(SyslogAddr)) == -1) {
			(void)close(LogFile);
			LogFile = -1;
		} else
			connected = 1;
}

void
closelog()
{
	(void)close(LogFile);
	LogFile = -1;
	connected = 0;
}

/* setlogmask -- set the log mask level */
int
setlogmask(pmask)
	int pmask;
{