Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:52:06 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wireless API
References:  <525B2802.5050904@gmail.com> <CAJ-Vmomu3nq9tckFC=x5f95DpVXNG5jxawToQfknvx3zWszCfQ@mail.gmail.com> <CADRZFmrMsLYT-txAkJuEg2UW%2Bd6nQ0N%2BJv=je8Q=tVk-iq8Hyg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-Vmo=7To-vO=-EcueueT6TmBdU5VtUXGaWVwX8UOEabKB4-A@mail.gmail.com> <CADRZFmpxgBSpCor1ntPwE%2B-W5z58mj=vL-6SBDLWcyx4Czh0VA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmontQCyRSht0r2wo-fU92%2BgpdnOUvTGoh6t9qv20rTjSCA@mail.gmail.com> <CADRZFmpcQM3BcP3adPROk2goLU3Kq4PLyqrOv2ctDTWZWqBmWQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmomHjGUob1enQ4f6K=SrTDQXjmqX_152tar6MvB8Uv7CiQ@mail.gmail.com> <525D6CBA.4010101@pcbsd.org> <CAOFF%2BZ3zWR1tJkOvdBE-g27Bm7a3JrG44EhMAVm2AOKxueHvBA@mail.gmail.com>

The wireless API used to be the same as what's in Linux. So, in theory, we
could just use anything that used Linux wireless extensions. Save, of
course, the API drift.

So, you could just write a full wireless manager that used the ioctl API
for the basic manipulation of the VAP (eg link status, current association
state, etc) and the wpa_supplicant socket API for talking to the supplicant
for the scan list, telling it which SSID to try associating to, etc.

-adrian