Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 00:10:13 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ls -G seems to depend on TERM=xterm-color

Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Sean Lutner wrote:
>
> > I'm experiencing the same thing. ls --color doesn't seem to work for me
> > unless like Doug, I set TERM=xterm-color.
>
> That's because the "color" escape sequences are defined for xterm-color
> in termcap; xterm-color is defined as a superset of xterm (see the tc=
> directive).

	Right... I am down with all that. I just wanted to confirm that the
colorized ls depended on the xterm-color setting.

> I have a lot of X resources defined, and here is one that
> could help you guys:
>
> XTerm*termName: xterm-color

	Ok, that's a good solution, I was just using .bashrc. My point is not
so much why, but that it be properly documented. Do you want to handle
the update of the ls man page, or do you want me to PR a patch?

Thanks,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire