Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:48:57 +1100
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alistair M <tlli@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: raid1 on vinum

On Wednesday, 27 September 2000 at 11:19:49 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
>> On Monday, 25 September 2000 at 15:33:46 -0500, Alistair M wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>> I am trying to mirror the whole OS onto a second disk I have on my
>>> machine.  The two disks are exactly the same. I am currently
>>> running with FreeBSD 4.1.
>>> I am not sure where to go from here.
>>
>> Start again with the parameters I show above.
>
> I did as you said, and created the volumes with "setupstate".
> I was unable to move /dev/ad2 and /dev/ad3 to /dev/ad1 and /dev/ad2

I don't understand what you mean here.

> I placed everything in /dev/ad2a and want to mirror to /dev/ad3a.
>
> All the volumes were set up properly, and plexes were in the 'up' state
> after doing a: vinum create -f /etc/vinum.cfg.
>
> I edited /etc/rc.conf and added start_vinum="YES".
>
> I then executed:
> vinum start
> and I got some error saying:
> /kernel: vinum: no drives found

That sounds reasonable if Vinum is already running.  'vinum start'
just goes looking for new drives.

> ** mp drives found: No such file or directory
> /kernel: vinum: no drives found
>
> I executed it again and I got this message:
> /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad3s1a
> /kernel: vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad2s1a
>
> What is going on?

I don't know.  You should have got the same message again.  You also
haven't described anything that is obviously a problem.  But you
haven't really given me enough information to tell.  Take a look at
vinum(4) or http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and give me
the information I ask for there.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.