Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:38:56 +0200
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/fbtab login device matching

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 04:45:18PM -0400, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 05:11:14PM +0200, Markus Holmberg wrote:
> > I want to change the ownership of /dev/console to the user that logs in
> > (which sounds reasonable, right?)
> [snip]
>
> Well, what happens when more than one user is logged in to the
> machine? For example, I frequently will log into a machine as a
> "mortal" user first on ttyv0. If at some point I need root privs, I go
> to the next ttyv and log in there as root rather than su. Who should
> own the console? You are setting yourself up for a reverse-race
> condition (the last person wins ;) over console ownership.

After some testing and searching mailing list archives I now realize it
isn't enough to "chmod 644 (or 666) /dev/console". To be able to open
the console you need to own it.

So /etc/fbtab seems to be the only option (since I'm not using xdm which
would enable use of GiveConsole/TakeConsole).

Markus

--

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/