Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:04:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for good QA tests...

> On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 10:41:58AM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > I have a filesystem stress tests that are worth incorporating. I also have
> > a raw disk pattern checker, but that's less of a test than analysis tool.
>
> Does it check do things that should fail aswell as things that
> should work? One of the problems with using buildworld's and the
> like is that they don't try anything that should fail.

No, it's a stress tester.

> (What I have in mind here are things like cross device links,
> symlink loops, operating files that you shouldn't be able to,
> filling the disk and checking you get an error...)

That's more than I've written up. There are a set of other tests I've
collected over the years- some of them have this (like building directory
trees 100 deep and removing them). Not much other than the SVVS tests has
attempted to also fully test the positive and negative errors. I have had
access to the SVVS source, but I suspect it's still encumbered so it
oculdn't be used here.

> It would be nice to go through the man (2) pages and look at the
> error code sections and write code that deliberately provokes as
> many errors as possible.

Yes.