Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:34:08 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot menu change in 6.0?

I see in the 6.0/amd64 release notes in section 2.2.1 that the
beastie boot menu is disabled by default.  It doesn't seem to be in
6.0-REL but was in the last RC that was issued.

A couple of weeks ago I made a CD of the last RC before release of
6.0 and installed it on a Dell 1850 which worked out quite well.
However, the boot menu wasn't there like in 5.x -- all I got was the
old style boot prompt like in FreeBSD 4.x.  An upgrade to 6.0-REL via
buildworld didn't change that menu, either.

Last week, I installed from a 6.0-RELEASE cd onto a generic opteron
box and I get the beastie menu (albeit beastie is replaced with a
"FreeBSD" image).

Thus, I am confused by this entry in the release notes.  Can anyone
clarify which way the boot menu/prompt should be defaulted?

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/relnotes-amd64.html