Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 10:20:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        rheller@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Richard Heller)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/support.html

> I'm having trouble setting up X windows.  I've got it pretty much up and
> running, but I can't get it to read the .xinitrc file.  What could cause
> that?
>
> Also, I keep getting messages like "getty repeating too fast" and "repeated last
> message 4 times."  What are those error messages trying to tell me?

Make sure all of the signals on your COM (sio) ports are properly
terminated.  Noise on DCD *could* cause getty to twitch...
Does the log indicate *where* (i.e. which port) getty is complaining?
If not, try manually disabling them in /etc/ttys to see when the
problem goes away (you need to kill -HUP init for this, though)

--don