Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nathan <spivey@hub.cydonia.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   laptop as dual homed router

Goodday,

 I've setup a p233 laptop with two nics:
 3com 3c589  - ep0
 compaq neteligent - xe0

 unfortunately, only ONE interface will work at a time. doesnt matter If i
 boot with none, either one, or both inserted, i will only get traffic on
 ONE interface. EITHER will work independantly just fine, either on
 the inside network or the outside.

so basically, both cards work fine; its not a hardware issue.
the drivers load fine for both too; not a kernel issue
the right tcp/ip config is being used for both cards; not a network
issue
i just can only get _traffic_ on one at a time when both are inserted.
with just one in, it'll work just fine, regardless of which card, and
regardless of which network i wanna use it on (ie. private 10.x.x.x or
the public network via cable modem service)

 i'm replacing an existing ppro pc thats doing my routing/nat for me just
 fine now, and have basically mirrored the kernel and configs for natd,
 pccardd, etc on the laptop... so i know its not a configuration issue
since i've done this before more than once (:

 if both are in, one interface will work (which ever was loaded first) and
 i can see the network fine. but the other one won't send/recv any
traffic,
 just acts like its dead. even tho, if its the outside interface, it still
 gets its DHCP fed to it, it just won't work...

 i'm wondering if its a laptop thing (pcmcia) since my pc router with fbsd
 is working fine.. maybe something with pccardd or something that inhibits
two nics working at the same time??

thanks!
nathan