Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:08:31 +0100
From:      Bart Matthaei <bart@dreamflow.nl>
To:        Josh Snyder <nightrav@netnitco.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT / Firewall Question

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

> I am going to be setting up a box to do NAT with my Ameritech ADSL (Alcat=
el
> SpeedTouch USB modem) and I was wondering if there was any reason that I
> should use FreeBSD with ipfw/ipfilter ( I don't really know the differenc=
e)
> rather than Linux with iptables?  I fully admit that I haven't really
> researched the two options throughly and I've only setup a very basic one
> rule NAT configuration for my friend.  I was hoping that you all may have
> some insight as to why or if FreeBSD makes a better NAT / Firewall box.

It doesn't. It's just a question of what your used to.
I like the freebsd "feel" a lot better compared to linux.=20
Same thing when it comes down to ipfw/ipf versus iptables.
iptables has the same functionality, but is in my eyes, too complex,
when you compare it to ipfw/ipf.

There used to be a difference in performance between linux and (free)bsd wh=
en it comes
down to firewalling and routing, but with the birth of the 2.4 kernel and i=
ptables,
this difference has vanished.

B.

--=20
Bart Matthaei                 bart@dreamflow.nl=20

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd--