Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2003 23:35:09 -0500
From:      Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: .NET on FreeBSD

At 10:48 PM 4/9/2003, Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek wrote:
>who would want to [use .NET on FreeBSD]? :P

That was my thought too, but after reading the article about the Shared=20
Source CLI in the July 2002 issue of MSDN Magazine, I got a little=
 interested.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/07/default.aspx

A couple of notable quotations:

When I first heard about the Shared Source CLI, I expected it to be the=20
smallest and feeblest implementation Microsoft could get away with, so I=20
was amazed when I finally got to see it. The Shared Source CLI isn't some=20
one-off implementation built on the cheap. Rather, the Shared Source CLI=20
code base is derived from the source code to the CLR and is practically=20
identical in most important respects.

In addition to the execution engine itself, the Shared Source CLI includes=
=20
source code to practically every .NET tool that comes with the CLR (and=20
some that don't!) including complete C# and JScript=AE compilers and=
 portable=20
versions of all the familiar .NET tools....
I really think it could be very beneficial to FreeBSD (or any OS for that=20
matter) to have a fully functional .NET CLR environment.  Not only would it=
=20
open up a load of Windows software developed to FreeBSD users, but it could=
=20
make FreeBSD a viable replacement for a Windows desktop or IIS server.  In=
=20
other words, it could only broaden our market share.